Who is eligible to be an ASA member?
Doctors of Medicine or Osteopathy who are licensed to practice medicine and who have successfully completed a training program in anesthesiology, accredited by Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or equivalent organizations, or the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- A physician not in the clinical practice of anesthesiology.
- A scientist who, while not engaged in administering clinical anesthesia to humans, is nevertheless interested in anesthesiology.
- A physician who is in the service of the U.S. government (other than those employed by the Veterans Administration).
- A physician who resides outside the United States.
Resident Members (Includes Fellows)
A physician in full-time training in an anesthesiology department whose core residency program is accredited by ACGME or the AOA.
Medical Student Members
An individual in full-time training in a medical school approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the AOA.
- Anesthesiologist assistant (AA/AA-C)
- Certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA)
- Student anesthesiologist assistant
- Student registered nurse anesthetist
Other limited membership categories (by special qualifications/approval only)