Annual National Lifebox Challenge
Pulse oximeters save lives, yet millions of people undergo surgery without this vital monitoring device. To accelerate the Lifebox mission to make surgery and anesthesia safer by equipping all operating rooms worldwide with pulse oximeterers and training in oximetry and the World Health Organization (WHO) Surgical Safety Checklist, the ASA Resident Component calls on all resident members to participate in the Annual National Lifebox Challenge. The 2014 Lifebox Challenge just concluded and the 2015 Challenge information will be posted as soon as it is available.
This nationwide competition among residency programs to sponsor Lifebox pulse oximeters took place from January to September, 2014. By being a participant, you can do your part to make surgery safer across the world.
- To raise a minimum of $250 (one Lifebox pulse
oximetry package, including oximeter and
multi-language materials) per anesthesiology
residency program. Estimates suggest that this
would total approximately $38,000, which can
purchase 100 pulse oximeters.
- As part of the global Lifebox strategy, ASA is focusing
its efforts in Latin America. More information will be coming soon on our target areas for pulse oximeters.
- Every ACGME-accredited anesthesiology residency in
the United States is automatically entered into the competition.
- Funds can be raised by any legal means such as:
single donations or specialized events such as
sporting events, bake sales or auctions.
- Total funds raised will be adjusted for the number
of anesthesia residents currently in clinical
anesthesia years. Interns and Fellows will not factor
into calculations, but are encouraged to participate,
along with members of the faculty and community.
- Winner = funds raised/(# CA-1 to CA-3 residents)
- Donations are made, collected and tabulated through the ASA Charitable Foundation, which reports results each month. See the 2014 National Lifebox Challenge Winners by clicking on the above link.
- The first competition ran from January 1, 2014 to September 1, 2014.
Download Resources for the National Lifebox Challenge: