Resident Research Essay Contest Guidelines
Resident Research Essay Contect Flyer 2013
Deadline for receipt of entries: April 2, 2013
ASA resident members who have completed original clinical or laboratory research in anesthesiology or related disciplines are encouraged to enter the contests. Prizes include $1,000 for first place; $500 for second place; and $250 for third place. All prize winners also will receive a plaque. Prizes will be presented at the ANESTHESIOLOGY™ 2013 annual meeting in San Francisco, California on Monday October 14, 2013.
- The entrant must be a member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists at the time of submission. Entries submitted by a principal author who is not an ASA member will not be reviewed. Any co-entrant(s) is not required to be a member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
- The work reported should have been completed during residency or research fellowship training. Research performed as a student may be considered.
- Papers should be submitted during or within one year following completion of the training.
- A previous entry or award does not preclude eligibility.
Submission of Entry
- A letter signed by the entrant stating that the research and writing was predominantly done by the entrant must accompany the submission. Only one submission will be accepted per entrant.
- A letter from the Residency Program Director confirming eligibility for the entrant and, if applicable, co-entrant(s) must accompany the submission.
- The original entry should follow the format (title, page, abstract, text, references) of the journal Anesthesiology (refer to “Guide for Authors” for the Journal). Collaborators and co-authors should be listed on the title page. Figures need not be finished photographic prints but should reproduce legibly. Entries which do not follow this format will be returned.
- A limit of 25 double-spaced pages (excluding letters of verification but including all figures, tables and references) will be enforced; manuscripts that exceed the page limit will not be reviewed.
- Concurrent online submission of an abstract of the work for presentation as a regular scientific paper at the ASA meeting is required. ASA Abstract Submission. That submission should be prepared in accordance with the rules and deadlines for submission of regular, and submitted independently via the submission link on the ASA website.
- The work should not have been presented, published or submitted to any other national meeting, national residents’ essay contest or journal prior to this submission. The essay can be presented to local residents’ essay contests (i.e., Midwest or Western Residents’ Essay Contest).
- Manuscripts should be sent electronically to the Chair of the Committee on Research, Paul R. Knight III, M.D., Ph.D., at email@example.com by April 2, 2013.
- The three prize essays will receive their awards at Anesthesiology 2013 in San Francisco, CA.
If you have any questions, please contact Judy Jacobson, Education Dept., at: firstname.lastname@example.org.