Yemisi Odugbesan, M.P.A., M.D.







January 25, 2010

There are very few words to describe the devastation, but I'm already encouraged by the lives that have been stayed and how those who were spared are volunteering to help their fellow man.


January 25, 2010

Up early this am. Arrived at Hopital Dela Communaute Hatienne this morning. Operating rooms are well equipped so most patients having amputations under general anesthesia. Things are finally getting organized but have found situations whereby we have surgeons amuptating and no one doing wound care. Lots and lots of wound care to be done...I come bearing all the good stuff: ketamine, morphine, percocet, tylenol #3...acute pain service at it's finest!


January 26, 2010

2300. Finally back at the house in Boutelliers. Our hosts, Linda & Ben & their daughter, Terry Boucard, have been absolutely awesome. They have opened their home & their hearts & availed themselves of their time & talents. A turkey dinner was much appreciated after being on our feet (or on our knees as in my case, as I was often giving anesthesia on the floor) all day and half the night. I would estimate our wound team treated 60 patients today. Off to bed to do it all again in the morning...luckily we're all exhausted enough to sleep through whatever aftershocks occur in the night (yes there have been two since we got here).







January 26, 2010

CNN was here at Hopital Dela Communaute Hatienne today. The 82nd Airborne thought this hospital was destroyed. A few days ago they began patrolling the area. Apparently word has gotten around about the care we are provinding here. I have no idea how many hundreds of patients are here,but yesterday our wound care team saw upwards of 70 patients, both in the morning and again in the evening.  We are mainly still dealing with amputees, but have seen a few gunshot victims, women who have been protracted labour. There are teams from Sweden, France, South Korea, Jamaica, and several other countries, all of whom have committed to being here for the next 6 mo or more. I hope the response continues to be as strong, as this country mends itself.


January 27, 2010

Slowly getting back to normal...









January 31, 2010

As one life began around 1915 today in OR 3, another life in the very next room was ending. A woman I spoke to last night about her extensive wound to her left leg died today. Her death was especially hard because today she finally agreed to the surgery after refusing to have her leg amputated for several days.

Today was actually my first day in the operating room due to the departure of a pediatric anesthesiologist and a nurse anesthetist. Most of our general cases are done with ketamine & amp; versed because oxygen is in very short supply, and the only working anesthesia machine is in OR one, which also happens to have an EKG monitor. So in OR's two, three, and four our only monitors are a blood pressure machine and a portable sat monitor, which are difficult to use because patients are often cold or we are amputing the one extremity where we can pick up a sat (no ear probes available).

According to the anesthesiologist doing her case, they had just ligated the sciatic nerve when he got a low blood pressure reading. A short time later he lost her sat reading. He checked a carotid pulse and found she had none. At this point they started chest compressions and began to bag mask her with room air.

I was next door, and had just finished helping the nurse anesthetist put in a spinal on a woman having a caesarian section, when Dr. Garcia bursts through the door in search of oxygen. Thinking our 19 year old in the ICU was decompensating again I was surprised when he said the patient next door was "in trouble."

I rushed next door; find the orthopedic surgeon on a stool performing chest compressions, and began administering cardiac resuscitative drugs. Epinephrine and atropine were in no short supply. We even had amps of calcium and plenty of lidocaine. Chest compressions to circulate the epi were sufficient enough to generate systolic pressures in the 70's and diastolic pressures in the 40's at one point, but to no avail. We had to call it. Time of death: 19:35.

There was no sustained drone of a flatline like on tv, for we had no EKG monitor in this room. There was only the deafening silence of our profound sense of sadness that not everyone we lay on our operating table will rise again. Given the acute demise of our patient I suspected she suffered a massive pulmonary embolism due to a blood clot that very likely would have developed in her badly fractured leg. As we began the work of sewing her leg back together and cleaning her up for her family, we each went to that objective place we all go that allows us to cope with the extent of the loss of life and limb. But for one of us, a general surgical intern who was first assist in the case and one of the wound care team members who encouraged her to have the amputation, the day's stresses proved to be too overwhelming, and the woman's death took him to his emotional breaking point. We allowed him to shed tears for all of us, as this particular death--the first intraoperative death at our hospital--is undoubtedly poignantly and indelibly etched on the tableau of our experience here in Haiti. 

About ASA: The American Society of Anesthesiologists is an educational, research and scientific association of physicians organized to raise and maintain the standards of the medical practice of anesthesiology and improve the care of the patient. Since its founding in 1905, the Society's achievements have made it an important voice in American Medicine and the foremost advocate for all patients who require anesthesia or relief from pain.