ASA Member Benefits
As an ASA member, your passion is our specialty. We are committed to returning value to you every day by:
Helping You in Your Clinical Practice
- Practice guidelines, parameters and advisories relevant to your everyday practice
- Monographs and FAQs about timely clinical topics
- Anesthesiology journal content specifically geared toward your clinical practice
Helping You Maintain Licensure and Certification
- Annual Meeting and other CME opportunities that grant the specialty-specific CME credits you need
- Educational activities designed to help satisfy the American Board of Anesthesiology requirements for
Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology (MOCA®)
Helping You Manage Your Practice
- Relevant, real world resources like our Manual for Anesthesia Department Organization and Management (MADOM)
- Invaluable coding resources at a significant member discount, like the ASA Relative Value Guide and Crosswalk, enable you to get paid appropriately for your services
- ASA’s Certificate in Business Administration program covers the business skills needed to successfully manage the operations and functions of a health care organization or your medical practice
Helping You Advance Your Career
- Participate in our ASA Career Center
- ASA component society or ASA committee or leadership roles enhance your leadership skills and network of contacts
Other Member Services:
ABA-ASA In-Training Examination
Jointly sponsored by the American Board of Anesthesiology and the American Society of Anesthesiologists, the In-Training Examination is available to physician-trainees in approved anesthesiology residency programs. It also serves as the entry examination to the certification system of the American Board of Anesthesiology.
ASA Scientific Meetings
The major portion of the ASA Annual Meeting is devoted to exhibits and scientific meetings. These include the annual Refresher Course Lectures and scientific papers by eminent anesthesiologists and guest lecturers. ASA Workshops and Seminars and are also scheduled in various locations.
Anesthesia Quality Institute (AQI)
The Anesthesia Quality Institute’s (AQI) mission is to develop and maintain an ongoing registry of anesthesia cases and outcomes to help anesthesiologists assess and improve patient care. The AQI is aggregating electronic anesthesia case data and reporting it back to contributing practices, allowing them to benchmark their care relative to peer groups and other hospitals. The $500 (per physician) participant fee to join the AQI is waived for anesthesiologists who are members of the ASA.
Protect your income with ASA QCDR, a PQRS reporting service powered by the National Anesthesia Clinical Outcomes Registry (NACOR). NACOR is the only qualified clinical data registry for anesthesia in the market. NACOR’s 19 anesthesia-related measures help eligible professionals (EPs) report their outcomes and avoid a 2 percent payment penalty (which could be about $1,500 per EP in 2015). ASA QCDR reporting services are included in ASA membership, representing a savings of $1,295 over participating as a non-member physician. Learn more about this exciting new member benefit.
Information and Counsel
The ASA Executive Office acts as a clearing-house for members who want answers to specific questions and advice on professional matters. Approximately 70 committees are readily available to supply needed information and advice.
Liaison with Organizations
ASA committees maintain relationships with other specialty organizations and the American Medical Association. These partnerships allow us to have a greater voice on issues that affect all physicians.
National Library and Museum
The Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology, located in the Executive Office in Park Ridge, Ill., serves the medical profession as well as historians and interested members of the public. The principal library collection includes approximately 9,000 books on anesthesiology and biomedical sciences relating to the specialty.