Pulse oximeters save lives, yet millions of people undergo surgery without this vital monitoring device. To accelerate the Lifebox mission to make surgery and anesthesia safer by equipping all operating rooms worldwide with pulse oximeters and training in oximetry and the World Health Organization (WHO) Surgical Safety Checklist, the ASA Resident Component calls on all resident members to participate in the Annual National Lifebox Challenge. The 2017 Lifebox Challenge is underway and we encourage you to participate. To learn more, please visit the ASA Charitable Foundation website.
This nationwide competition among residency programs to sponsor Lifebox pulse oximeters takes place between February 1 and September 1, 2017. By being a participant, you can do your part to make surgery safer across the world.
- To raise a minimum of $250 (one Lifebox pulse oximetry package, including oximeter and multi-language materials) per anesthesiology residency program. Estimates suggest that this would total approximately $38,000, which can purchase 100 pulse oximeters.
- As part of the global Lifebox strategy, ASA is focusing its efforts in Latin America.
- The residency programs producing the largest contribution per resident and the largest total contribution will be recognized at the ASA Annual Meeting in October.
- NEW! The Resident Lifebox Challenge Pack launches next month! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to receive a copy.
Every ACGME-accredited anesthesiology residency in the United States is automatically entered into the competition.
- Funds can be raised by any legal means such as: single donations or specialized events such as sporting events, bake sales or auctions.
- Total funds raised will be adjusted for the number of anesthesia residency positions posted by the ACGME. Interns and Fellows will not factor into calculations, but are encouraged to participate, along with members of the faculty and community.
- Winners = funds raised / (# CA-1 to CA-3 residents) and total funds raised per program
- Donations are made, collected and tabulated through the ASA Charitable Foundation, which reports results each month. See the 2016 National Lifebox Challenge Winners by clicking on the above link.
- Donations made through the donation portal should be designated for Lifebox and the name of the residency program must be entered under "Company". If contributing by check, the name of the residency program should be identified on any contributions mailed to the ASA Charitable Foundation at ASA headquarters in Schaumburg, IL.
Download Resources for the National Lifebox Challenge: