Quality and Regulatory Affairs (QRA)
ASA's Quality and Regulatory Affairs (QRA) Department is led by Maureen Amos, M.S., CEC and is based out of the Washington, D.C. office. QRA’s mission is to direct and advance the interests of anesthesiologists in professional standards, performance outcomes, quality assurance and regulatory affairs as they intersect with quality initiatives. The department works to promote the anesthesiologist’s essential role in patient safety and health care quality. QRA also supports members in a variety of quality management matters such as quality reporting, quality measurement and patient safety.
The department works closely with and supports the activities of the Committee on Quality Management & Departmental Administration (QMDA), the Committee on Performance and Outcomes Measurement (CPOM) and the Committee on Standards and Practice Parameters (CSPP). QRA’s goals include, but are not limited to:
- Identifying important Federal regulatory and quality issues and acting in the interests of ASA members.
- Leading efforts to promote the essential role of anesthesiologists in patient safety and health care quality by continuing to build relationships with regulatory agencies, accrediting organizations and measure-setting stakeholders such the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the National Quality Forum (NQF), The Joint Commission (TJC) and Det Norske Veritas (DNV).
- Promoting quality reporting initiatives to support existing and evolving practice models.
- Assisting members in advancing the quality and efficiency of their anesthesia practice by supporting the ASA Consultation Program and developing and updating useful publications such as the Manual for Anesthesia Department Organization and Management (MADOM).
- Developing essentials quality and regulatory information for ASA members.
Quality Reporting Programs:
Quality and Regulatory Affairs may be contacted at (202) 289-2222 or by e-mail at email@example.com.