Beware of Housing and Data Scams
Unauthorized companies are contacting American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) prospective attendees, exhibitors and sponsors, and identifying themselves as affiliated with ASA in order to sell:
- Hotel rooms/housing;
- Attendee lists and other event related data; and
- Exhibit contractor services.
Beware of any third party who may contact you offering housing reservations or other goods and services related to an ASA event. These individuals or organizations often claim to have exclusive deals, but they can pose serious risks to your personal information and security.
Common deceptive tactics include:
- Distributing forms or promotional materials that appear to be issued by ASA.
- Representing themselves as affiliated with ASA or presenting themselves as an ASA employee by illegally using ASA’s name, logo or an ASA title.
- Claiming they can secure a “lower rate,” “better hotel,” “upgraded amenities,” or that the hotel room block is sold out and if you do not book with them you will not get a room. When customers arrive, reservations may not exist or the hotel is not as described (e.g., not conveniently located, no amenities).
- Asserting they can provide you with access to attendee information or other data that is only available through them.
Providing unauthorized third parties with personal details such as credit card information, identification, or even your event registration details could lead to fraud, unauthorized charges, and identity theft, and there is no guarantee you will receive anything that was promised.
To protect yourself from potential scams and protect your personal information, we recommend the following:
- Be cautious of unsolicited emails or phone calls offering accommodation options or other goods and services and requesting personal information.
- Book your accommodation directly through the official ASA event website. A secure link can be found in your registration confirmation email. ASA will not call or email you to personally help with hotel reservations. We will direct you to our secure link – this is the ONLY approved method to make your hotel reservation.
- Avoid sharing sensitive information, such as credit card details, with unknown individuals or websites.
- Research and verify the legitimacy of any accommodation providers or other third parties before making any payments or sharing personal information.
- Do not assume use of ASA’s name or logo means the company is affiliated with ASA. Check the sender’s email address – if it does not originate from an official “asahq.org” email address, do not respond.
Your safety and security are of utmost importance to us, and we want to ensure that your experience at the event is both enjoyable and secure. If contacted by someone asking if you need a room at ASA Advance or representing themselves as the "ASA Housing Bureau," attempting to sell you an ASA attendee list or other data list, an ASA exhibit service, or other good or service related to an ASA event, please reach out to our event organizers immediately.
Contact [email protected] with the details of any suspicious activity or concerns.