ASA Active Members who meet specific qualifications and criteria are invited to apply for the FASA designation.
Demonstrate your dedication and leadership in anesthesiology by becoming a Fellow of the American Society of Anesthesiologists® (FASA®). The FASA designation is ASA’s highest acknowledgment that recognizes years of dedication to exceptional education, leadership and commitment to the specialty.
- 5 years continuous ASA Active membership as of FASA application submission date
- 5 years continuous ASA Active component membership as of FASA application submission date
- Unrestricted medical license(s)
- Board certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or American Osteopathic Board of Anesthesiology
- 2 letters of endorsement from ASA Active members in good standing
- CV and optional bibliography
- Application fee $350 (non-refundable) - The application process must be completed within 12 months of receiving payment and/or submitting an application or the fee will be charged again.
- Must meet 6 total qualifications, with at least 1 from each of the 3 categories listed below; all within the past 5 years of FASA application submission date
- Leadership position or participation in ASA, ASA component society, ASA committee or other ASA entity
- Local or community leadership position or activities
- Hospital or practice leadership position
- Held a leadership position with a subspecialty or any medical society
- Leadership or participation in an ASA foundation
- Military or government leadership position
- Demonstrated medical volunteerism
- Attend ASA Legislative Conference
- Active participation in ASA advocacy efforts
- Active participation in ASA component advocacy efforts
- Active involvement in teaching or mentoring activities
- Research in anesthesiology
- Publication in journals, web content, teaching materials
- ABA Board examiner, exam program development
- Education program development; print, live, digital
- Faculty position for ASA or other educational programs or meetings
- Editor position for publications
- Subspecialty or other medical board certification
- Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology participation
- Participation or attendance at 3 ASA or ASA component society live educational events
- Participation and claimed credits for 3 ASA CME-bearing products, each offering 25 credits or more
Read the full ASA® Fellow Designation Criteria and Qualification Checklist [pdf]
Apply online to become a Fellow of the American Society of Anesthesiologists. Upload your CV and other documents, and pay your application fee directly online. The sponsor letter requests may be emailed to colleagues within the online application. You can save your work at any point during the process and return to complete, submit and review it at any time.
Active members who are approved as Fellows of the American Society of Anesthesiologists will retain the privilege of the FASA designation for as long as ASA membership is retained. If an Active Fellow member allows his/her ASA membership to lapse for greater than 1 membership cycle, the member must re-apply for the Fellow designation. The 5-years continuous membership restarts from the point the member rejoins ASA and the component society as an Active member.
Active Fellow members retain the FASA designation when they convert to ASA Retired member status only if Active membership is maintained up to approval of change in status.
Congratulations to the newest Fellows of the American Society of Anesthesiologists (FASA)
If you have questions about the FASA program, please contact us at FASA@asahq.org, use Live Chat, or call Member Services Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Central Time at (630) 912-2552.