CHICAGO – To bring a full range of perioperative health care news and information to physician anesthesiologists, surgical care team members and health care executives, the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) today announced its expanded partnership with Wolters Kluwer to publish and relaunch its publication the ASA Monitor.
Beginning with the July 2020 issue, the ASA Monitor will feature a new design as a large-format publication with more timely, relevant and in-depth physician-to-physician reporting to provide greater context and understanding of issues facing anesthesiology and the health care industry, through articles from regular columnists and more comprehensive features.
“We are excited to team up with expert medical publisher Wolters Kluwer to expand the ASA Monitor’s reach and outlook beyond the association’s walls to appeal to an even more diverse audience,” said ASA President Mary Dale Peterson, M.D., MSHCA, FACHE, FASA. “There’s a lot of news and changes happening in our specialty and medicine as a whole due to the COVID-19 pandemic. So, the timing of this expanded vision in many ways could not be more appropriate. The design will be in news format, with new features and enhancements of relevance not only to physician anesthesiologists, but to all involved in perioperative health care.”
“We are honored ASA trusted Wolters Kluwer with reestablishing the ASA Monitor as a necessary resource for all anesthesiology practitioners,” said Jayne Marks, VP, Global Publishing, Wolters Kluwer, Health Learning, Research & Practice. “We have seen firsthand the impact ASA has on anesthesiology as the leader in publishing research that transforms the clinical practice and fundamental understanding of the specialty, and we look forward to expanding our collaboration and elevating the ASA Monitor.”
Additional content enhancements include:
- Columns written by leading experts from within and outside the anesthesia community, including:
- The Curious Economist – will discuss the economics of anesthesia practices and provide an overall view and analysis of economics in perioperative medicine and health care.
- Your Patient’s Brain – will provide expert perspective on topics related to patients’ brain health when undergoing anesthesia and surgery.
- Unbleached – will explore how to recognize areas to improve the environmental footprint and steps that can be taken to ensure a balance between sustainability and patient safety.
- In the Know – written by scientist journalists, will address hot button issues such as COVID-19.
- Monthly columns on technology trends, leadership, careers and more.
- Features on the latest technology, product and drug innovations, and new companies.
- A “facility highlight,” showcasing a specific medical center, what they do, how they do it, why they are leaders in the field and thoughts they have that might be applicable to other health institutions.
Led by Editor-in-Chief Steven L. Shafer, M.D., the ASA Monitor will continue to be a leading source for objective, fact-based reporting and thoughtful dialogue for physician anesthesiologists.
“With the new ASA Monitor, our goal is to be a primary news source for the perioperative community, coupled with information specific to ASA and physician anesthesiologists’ role in perioperative medicine,” said Dr. Shafer.
A subscription to the ASA Monitor is included as a benefit of ASA membership. Starting in September 2020, health care institutions can subscribe to the ASA Monitor on Ovid by contacting [email protected]. To learn more about the ASA Monitor and see the new format and content, available online June 26, visit www.asamonitor.org.
Wolters Kluwer will publish the ASA Monitor under its Lippincott journal portfolio, where it also publishes the ASA’s official peer-reviewed journal, Anesthesiology. Wolters Kluwer provides trusted clinical technology and evidence-based solutions that engage clinicians, patients, researchers and students with advanced clinical decision support, learning and research and clinical intelligence. The company helps customers make critical decisions every day by providing expert solutions that combine deep domain knowledge with advanced technology and services.
THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF ANESTHESIOLOGISTS
Founded in 1905, the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) is an educational, research and scientific society with more than 54,000 members organized to raise and maintain the standards of the medical practice of anesthesiology. ASA is committed to ensuring physician anesthesiologists evaluate and supervise the medical care of patients before, during and after surgery to provide the highest quality and safest care every patient deserves.
For more information on the field of anesthesiology, visit the American Society of Anesthesiologists online at asahq.org. To learn more about the role physician anesthesiologists play in ensuring patient safety, visit asahq.org/WhenSecondsCount. Like ASA on Facebook, follow ASALifeline on Twitter.
# # #