The 2024 application season will open on June 1, 2024.
All ASA medical student members who are interested can apply for an officer position on the ASA Medical Student Component Governing Council.
Officers are elected by the delegates during the ASA Medical Student Component House of Delegates session during the ANESTHESIOLOGY Annual Meeting. The officers begin their one-year term at the conclusion of the session. Terms for the President-Elect and Alternate Medical Student Delegate to the AMA are two-years. Applicants may contact the current officers to discuss the duties and responsibilities and to ask any questions.
A summary of duties and responsibilities is available in the ASA Medical Student Component bylaws. In addition to these duties, attendance is expected at the following events:
- ASA Medical Student Component House of Delegates Meetings (in conjunction with the ASA ANESTHESIOLOGY® annual meeting)
- ASA Medical Student Component Governing Council Meetings in March and August in Rosemont, IL.
Please check these dates against any rotations or exam schedules you may have. Travel costs to these meetings will be reimbursed per the ASA Travel Policy. In addition, ASA strongly encourages you to establish a relationship with your state component society.
How to Apply
Available positions include:
- President-Elect (first and second year students only)
- Membership Outreach Coordinator
- Diversity and Inclusion Liaison
- Senior Advisor (fourth-year students only)
- Alternate Delegate to AMA Medical Student Section
1. Be an ASA medical student member
2. Matriculated in an accredited allopathic or osteopathic medical school in the USA
3. Matriculated in an US-affiliated international medical school that offers all clinical training to be completed in the US.**Must submit proof of US affiliation with application.
With the exception of senior advisor, we encourage fourth year medical students to be mindful in applying for governing council positions, as the service term considerably overlaps the typical residency matriculation date.
Submit a completed application, a personal statement indicating why you want to be an officer (not more than 500 words), a current curriculum vitae, a professional headshot and one letter of reference by August 1, 2024. A nomination form (pdf) may be used in place of the letter of reference. Two letters of reference are required for President-Elect applicants. Incomplete materials will not be considered. Please note: Select submitted materials will be made available to medical student delegates prior to elections.
Good luck to all the applicants!
2024 President, ASA Medical Student Component
Rebecca Nika Tsai
2024 President-Elect, ASA Medical Student Component