Call for Applications - Submit by September 1, 2022
All ASA medical student members who are interested can apply for an officer position on the ASA Medical Student Component Governing Council.
Officers are elected by the delegates during the ASA Medical Student Component House of Delegates session during the ANESTHESIOLOGY Annual Meeting. The officers begin their one-year term at the conclusion of the session. Terms for the President-Elect and Alternate Medical Student Delegate to the AMA are two-years. Applicants may contact the current officers to discuss the duties and responsibilities and to ask any questions.
A summary of duties and responsibilities is available in the ASA Medical Student Component bylaws. In addition to these duties, attendance is expected at the following events:
- ASA Medical Student Component House of Delegates Meetings (in conjunction with the ASA ANESTHESIOLOGY® annual meeting)
- ASA Medical Student Component Governing Council Meetings in March and August in Rosemont, IL.
Please check these dates against any rotations or exam schedules you may have. All costs incurred to attend these meetings are the responsibility of each officer. President and President-Elect are provided funding. Therefore, ASA strongly encourages you to establish a relationship with your state component society and seek funding from either the state or your medical school in advance of each event.
How to Apply
Available positions include:
- President-Elect (first and second year students only)
- Member at Large
- Diversity and Inclusion Liaison
- Senior Advisor (fourth-year students only)
- Alternate Medical Student Delegate to AMA
1. Be an ASA medical student member
2. Matriculated in an accredited allopathic or osteopathic medical school in the USA
3. Matriculated in an US-affiliated international medical school that offers all clinical training to be completed in the US.**Must submit proof of US affiliation with application.
With the exception of senior advisor, we encourage fourth year medical students to be mindful in applying for governing council positions, as the service term considerably overlaps the typical residency matriculation date.
Submit a completed application, a personal statement indicating why you want to be an officer (not more than 500 words), a current curriculum vitae and one letter of reference by September 1, 2022. A nomination form (pdf) may be used in place of the letter of reference. Two letters of reference are required for President-Elect applicants. Incomplete materials will not be considered. Please note: Select submitted materials will be made available to medical student delegates prior to elections.
Good luck to all the applicants!
President, ASA Medical Student Component
Nickolas Davies, CAA
President-Elect, ASA Medical Student Component