Virtual Pre-Op Calls
"Virtual Pre-Op Call" is an interactive educational experience for interested medical students that provides an opportunity to learn more about institutional culture through an open Q&A with a program's trainees and faculty.
Sign up form for July-August 2023 opportunities
Our proposed Learning Objectives are:
- Facilitate active group collaboration among fourth year medical students and teaching faculty, fellows, or residents, in working through pre-operative evaluation and discussion.
- Discuss important components of pre-operative evaluation and clinical considerations contributing to anesthetic and perioperative plan.
- Explore anesthetic management for a variety of case types including: cardiac, transplant, pediatric, neurological, and general surgery.
- Establish a better understanding of individual institution/program teaching methodology and overall culture.
Through Zoom, faculty members, fellows, and residents (up to 4) from a program will host up to 12 students (ratio of 1:3) for a “Virtual Pre-op Call”.
The program includes:
- Introduction - 5 minutes
- Breakout Room #1- Pre-Op Portion & Anesthetic Plan - 30 minutes (1 Preceptor to 3 Students
- 5 minute break
- Breakout Room #2-Intra-Op and Post-Op Considerations and Scenarios - 30 minutes (1 Preceptor to 3 Students)
- *Moderated Q&A Regarding Residency Program - 45 Minutes
Questions can be directed to Amanda Xi, MD.