Visiting Rotation Scholarship for Underrepresented in Medicine
The purpose of the Diversity in Anesthesiology Visiting Rotation Scholarship is to provide monetary support for medical student members who identify as underrepresented in medicine (URiM). Visiting rotations (also known as away rotations) provide opportunities for students to learn about a specific program at an institution other than their own, and for many it may be their first Anesthesiology rotation if their own institution does not have a home program. Visiting rotations also benefit residency programs by allowing them to showcase their dedication to recruiting a diverse group of residents.
The funding will allow twelve students to pursue visiting rotations in Anesthesiology to increase their exposure to the specialty and subsequently help increase the number of students from URM groups who pursue Anesthesiology residency, while diversifying residency programs.
The application form is open February 14 through March 15, 2023. To qualify for the scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
- Medical Student Member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Rising fourth year medical student in good academic standing at a U.S.-accredited medical school
- Pursuing visiting rotation in Anesthesiology
- Must submit proof of acceptance to a visiting rotation after application period but before funds are distributed
- Must attest to not receiving funding from their home/visiting institution
- Identify as URiM as defined by the AAMC
- "Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."
- This includes those who identify as Black/African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/Alaskan Native, and Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian or multiracial including one of the above.
- Application form
- Letter of support (preferably from an Anesthesiologist);
- Personal statement essays (500 words or less)
- Describe your interest in Anesthesiology and how you will benefit from this scholarship
- Minority Essay--What has it meant to you and your journey to be underrepresented in medicine and what is the importance of having a diverse healthcare team?
- Statement of need (250 words on less);
- Describe any financial barriers/challenges you have faced while in medical school
- Describe how that has impacted your ability to pursue away rotation opportunities
After the application closes, each application will be reviewed by at least 5 people (Medical Student Component President, DEI Liaison and three/four panel members) who will assign a score. The scoring criteria will be based on the student's level of commitment to anesthesiology, and their dedication to promoting DEI as demonstrated through the submitted materials. The strength of the letter of support and overall level of need will also be considered in making the final decision.
Each student will be notified of their status once decisions have been made. The scholarship will be distributed via a $750 check to each student after they submit proof of acceptance to a visiting rotation. Twelve scholarships will be awarded. Students will be required to sign an acceptance agreement in which they agree to complete a full visiting student rotation.