Advocacy: How and Why You Should Get Involved
Healthcare decisions, which critically impact the practice and patients, are being discussed at both the state and federal level every day. It is vital that residents and anesthesiologists participate in those discussions, both for patients and the profession. Surprise Billing, Scope of Practice and Resident Debt Relief are some of the key issues being discussed today. These issues influence the care anesthesiologists provide for patients, and the future of the profession. Getting involved during residency is easy, and can help lay the groundwork for becoming a lifelong advocate.
How Do I Get Involved?
The ASA and its state components provide a wealth of resources to physicians wanting to take the next step. It begins with getting informed on both legislative processes as well as the topics being discussed.
- The ASA’s Advocacy Page is a great place to start, with links to Advocacy Tools, Current Legislative Issues, and the ASAPAC
- Read about the experiences of Resident Scholars during their rotation with the ASA Washington DC office and consider applying for a Policy Research Rotation
- The annual ASA Legislative Conference in Washington DC is a great introduction to national political advocacy, including meeting with US Senators and Congresspeople to discuss current topics relevant to our patients and our careers
- Get involved in your individual state component society is also a great way to learn about issues on the local level and advocate for your patients and fellow anesthesiologists
- Get involved in the ASA Resident Component House of Delegates or Governing Council
- Participate in residency program competitions to raise funds for the ASAPAC
Advocacy Points of Interest
What is ASAPAC?
ASAPAC is the political voice for the ASA, and is America’s largest physician PAC (Political Action Committee). With the support of ASA members, it works to help advance the specific interests of the specialty and patients by allowing the anesthesiology community to participate directly and tangibly in the elections of legislators who understand our specialty and the important medical care anesthesiologists provide. ASAPAC participates in over 300 political events each election cycle and provides physicians with resources to initiate and maintain critical relationships with legislators. Contributions go to pro-anesthesiology and pro-physician candidates as well as Congressional healthcare committee leaders, at both a national and state level.
How Do I Contribute?
Giving to ASAPAC is now easier than ever! Simply scan the QR code below on your phone, click the link to the ASAPAC contribution page, enter your last name and ASA member ID and you're in!