Medical Student Research Opportunities
List of Anesthesia Research Opportunities for Medical Students
For those interested in research, early involvement has the potential to be a springboard for a career in academic medicine. It can sometimes be difficult to know what opportunities are available, especially for schools that may not be affiliated with anesthesiology departments. Here we have compiled a list of research opportunities in anesthesia that are available to medical students. Please be proactive about deadlines and requirements, as some of these programs require personal statements and letters of recommendation.
Summer between MS1 and MS2
Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) is the portal to apply for away electives. 11 teaching hospitals listed below offer structured research rotations. Deadlines vary, but typically range from February to May. Check VSAS to confirm.
- AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Baylor University College of Medicine
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Medical College of Georgia at Augusta
- Oregon Health and Science School of Medicine
- University of Texas Medical Branch School of Medicine
- University of Colorado School of Medicine
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- Weill Cornell Medicine
- Yale University School of Medicine
- ASA ANESTHESIOLOGY Annual Meeting
- Problem-Based Learning Discussion submission deadline: February
- Scientific Abstract submission deadline: April
- Scientific and Educational Exhibits submission deadline: April
- Medically Challenging Cases submission deadline: May
- Research Conferences - check with your state component society or home institution for when they host research conferences and accept submissions.
If you know of any research opportunities in anesthesia for medical students that are not on this list, please email the Medical Student Component.